Download my resume as a pdf
Reporter. inewsource, San Diego, Calif. August 2014-present
- Report short and medium-term investigative projects for online, radio and TV; using, building and analyzing databases; and requesting public records.
- Creating multimedia elements such as graphics and interactive elements, as well as social media and newsletter campaigns, for investigative and marketing projects.
- Translate and adapt English stories for republication in Spanish, as well as assist with reporting and interviews in Spanish.
- Worked as an investigative assistant from January 2014 to August 2014.
Editor in Chief. The Daily Aztec, San Diego State University, San Diego, Calif. May 2013-June 2014
- Oversaw all business and editorial aspects of a daily online and twice-weekly print publication with approximately 100 paid and unpaid staff members
- Led editorial refocus on hyper-local, digital-first and mobile content. Shifted production format to prioritize timely online content leading to a 23 percent pageview increase
- Launched a mobile app for the newspaper and helped create a new social media strategy, resulting in an almost 60 percent increase in Likes in just eight months
- Increased advertising revenues by approximately 20 percent and reduced costs by approximately 20 percent year over year within the first semester, shifted to an ad agency model of advertising
Opinion Editor The Daily Aztec, San Diego State University, San Diego, Calif. May 2012-April 2013
- Trained and managed a team of 10 columnists for a daily publication
- Wrote weekly columns plus unsigned editorials. Managed coverage of the 2012 national and local elections
- Helped design and lay out content at least three times a week
- Previously senior staff columnist and staff columnist
- Spanish literacy and fluency, WordPress design, plugins and themes, Google Analytics, InDesign newspaper layout, still photography
- Databases: SQL and Excel, analysis and graphics, economic regression analysis
- Data visualization: Tableau, Google Fusion, Plot.ly
- AP style editing, management skills in advertising and editorial
- Learned government communication, proclamations, official letters and constituent casework during six month internship with San Diego Councilmember Marti Emerald
San Diego State University, 2010-2014
- Double major: journalism and economics with an emphasis on quantitative analysis
Investigative Reporters & Editors | Society of Professional Journalists | San Diego Press Club
Awards and Recognitions
- San Diego Press Club: Rising Star Award | Best of Show Radio
- Investigative Reporters & Editors Minority Development Fund fellowship